On July 31st, a new 6.25% sales tax (included in the Transportation Finance Bill) on software design services went into effect. There are only three additional states (Hawaii, New Mexico, and South Dakota) that currently tax computer services the way Massachusetts now does. This tax has an enormous impact on our industry and the Massachusetts High Tech Council and the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation have now joined forces to push for repeal.
There is no question that members and partners of The Ad Club community will be highly affected by this new tax, and we have already begun outreach to learn more about what can be done. The Massachusetts High Tech Council and Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation both strongly encourage the public to make their concerns heard- a few ways to join in the conversation:
- Call or email your state legislators
- Or contact:
- Sign the online petition to repeal the tax on change.org
- Use social media to share your response or comments! #techtax is currently trending on Twitter to collect public commentary.
- Review the law itself DOR TIR 13-10
- Plus find answers to some of the frequently asked questions
We will continue to monitor developments and post information about the software services tax.
President, The Ad Club